- Senior Lecturer, Dept of Engineering Education
309 Hitchcock Hall
2070 Neil Avenue
Columbus, OH 43210
Ph.D., Rhetoric, Composition, and Literacy—English, The Ohio State University, 2015
M.A., English, The Ohio State University, 2005
M.A., Women’s Studies, The Ohio State University, 2005
B.A., English major, certificate in Women’s Studies, Ohio University, 2001
Teaching and learning; technical communications and composition/writing pedagogy; diversity and inclusion; interdisciplinary research and writing; community literacies and education; queer and cultural studies; digital media studies
Honors and Grants
- Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing Dissertation Writing Award (2012)
- Battelle Endowment for Technology & Human Affairs and DALN (2012; 2009-2010)
- Common Differences Writing Award (2003)
Publications, including peer reviewed conference proceedings
- “More than Recruitment and Outreach: Diversity and Inclusion in Engineering Education Curricula and Classrooms,” American Society of Engineering Education Zone 2 Con, San Juan, Puerto Rico: March 2017.
- “Writing as Knowing: Creative Knowing through Multiple Messaging Modes in an Engineering Technical Communications Course “(with M. Faure, L. Hall, J. Herman, L. Wahlin) in Creative Ways of Knowing in Engineering. Eds. Diana Bairaktarova and Michele Eodice. New York: Springer.
- “Queering: Composition, the Digital Archives of Literacy Narratives, and Ways of Knowing” in Re/Orienting Writing Studies: Queer Methods, Queer Projects. Ed. William P. Banks, Matthew B. Cox, and Caroline Dadas. University Press of Colorado and Utah State University Press. Forthcoming.
- “A Tool of Queerness?: The Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives as a Classroom & Research Resource” in The Archive as Classroom: Pedagogical Approaches to the DALN. Eds. Kathryn Comer, Michael Harker, and Ben McCorkle. Logan, UT: Computers and Composition Digital Press. Forthcoming.
Selected Conference Presentations and Invited Talks
- “The Diversity Requirement: Diversity/Inclusion, Whiteness, and General Education,” National Women’s Studies Association, Baltimore, MD: November 2017.
- “More than Recruitment and Outreach: Culture and Climate in Engineering,” University of Wisconsin–Platteville, October 2017.
- “Enhance Your Writing Productivity: Identifying Unproductive Habits and Developing Better Ones,” with J. Herman & L. Wahlin, American Society of Engineering Education, Columbus, OH: June 2017.
- “Queer/ing: Composition, the Digital Archive of Literacy, and the Ways of Knowing,” Queer Places, Practices, & Lives Symposium, Columbus, OH: May 2017.
- “Writing as Knowing: Multimodality in Engineering Technical Communications” [poster}, with J. Herman, L. Wahlin, & L. Hall, 11th Annual Conference on Excellence in Teaching & Learning, Columbus, OH: May 2017.
- “Succeeding and Failing in Technical Communications,” with M. Faure and K. Tichgelaar, INNOVATE, Columbus, OH: May 2016.
- “Engineering 2367: American Attitudes Toward Technology, or, Technical Communications for Engineering,” Center for the Study and Teaching of Writing. The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH: March 2015.
- “Queering Composition with the Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives,” (half-‐day workshop) Conference on College Composition and Communication, Tampa, FL: March 2015.
- “The Personal is Academic: The Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives,” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Indianapolis, IN: March 2014.
- “The Personal is Academic: The Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives,” National Women’s Studies Association. Cincinnati, OH: November 2013.
- “Public Perceptions, Personal Realities: The Digital Archive of Literacy Narratives,” Conference on College Composition and Communication. Las Vegas, NV: March 2013.